Today marks the first day of the State Fair of Texas and like all local Dallas-ites, I'm so ready to get my hands on some ridiculously delicious fried fair foods. The two big food winners this year are Fernie’s Holy Moly Carrot Cake Roly (Best Tasting) and the Smoky Bacon Margarita (Most Creative), but neither of those makes me want to spend those little tickets. Here's some of the new foods I'm anxious to try this year:
1. Pumpkin Spice Donut Chip: "a delicious deep fried crisp donut chip coated with pumpkin spiced glaze...with a decadent scoop of ice cream smothered with our cinnamon candied maple bacon." Located at M-19 stand.
2. Limited Edition Oreos: "Red Velvet Oreos: fried to a golden brown and drizzled with a cream cheese icing. Cookie Dough Oreos: fried to a golden brown and drizzled with chocolate syrup and chocolate chips. Cotton Candy Oreos: fried...and sprinkled with pink and blue candy sugar served with a side of cotton candy." Located at FW-9 and N-9 stands.
3. Deep Fried Bacon Cheeseburger Basket: "a fresh American cheeseburger with chunky bacon, crispy French fries, hand battered onion rings, homemade fry sauce deep fried in a flour tortilla – chimichanga style served with several awesome dipping sauces." Located at TB-25 stand.
4. Tropical Shrimp Kabob: "shrimp kabob with onion, pineapple and shrimp grilled with...blend of island spices and tropical glaze." Located at FW-5 and TB-12 stands.
5. Fried East Texas Sausage & Pepper Jack Cheese on a Stick: "beer battered sausage and cheddar cheese with...jalapenos...on a stick." Located at FW-27 stand.
6. Milk Chocolate Bacon on a Stick: "bacon threaded on a wooden skewer, deep fried, finished on the grill and dipped in cacao milk chocolate." Located at TB-22 stand.
7. Funnel Dunkers: Located at G-1
I can almost smell the funnel cakes and corny dogs already! Once I make it to the fair, I'll be sure to share my taste-testing results!