I'm a pretty good secret-keeper, but I'll admit that that skill was put to the test over the past week as I had to keep some super fun Adele news on lockdown. Adele's team hosted 25 album listening sessions and invited 25 fans to each of those events. One of those 25 was hosted in Dallas, TX...and I was invited! Hear Adele's long-awaited album two days early? Yes, please! Here's what I think about the songs, now that I've heard them both with a group of devoted strangers and alone in my living room:
1. Hello - You've probably already screamed at the top of your lungs and blown out your car speakers to this one. The radio will try to wear us out on this...but, it's not possible. This voice never gets old. "Hello from the outside | At least I can say that I've tried | To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart | But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart | Anymore"
2. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Holy cow! When I heard the chorus, I knew this was my favorite. It's full of pop, but keeps the soul. I have already danced around my living to this one...more than once. I'll have this one on repeat today! "Send my love to your new lover | Treat her better | We gotta let go of all of our ghosts | We both know we ain't kids no more"
3. I Miss You - This is so sultry. Different from her usual, but I don't hate it, y'all. "I love the way your body moves | Towards me from across the room | Brushing past my every groove | No one has me like you do"
4. When We Were Young - So many beautiful lyrics, power and nostalgia in such a short song. This is another one of those blow-the-speakers out songs. "Let me photograph you in this light | In case it is the last time | That we might be exactly like we were | Before we realized | We were sad of getting old | It made us restless | It was just like a movie | It was just like a song"
5. Remedy - This is the love song to sing to your boo-thang when they are sort-of mad at you, but not too much. "No river is too wide or too deep for me to swim to you | Come whenever I'll be the shelter that won't let the rain come through."
6. Water Under The Bridge - In an upbeat way, this totally represents the temporary break-up fight. The kind where you both love each other, but it's just time for some separation. It's not really over, but it's over for now. "If you're gonna let me down, let me down gently | Don't pretend that you don't want me | Our love ain't water under the bridge"
7. River Lea - Pronounced "Lee," as we all quickly found out. This choir/backup in this chorus is so awesome. Makes me want to snap, clap and dance all day. "But it's in my roots, it's in my veins | It's in my blood and I stain every heart that I use to heal the pain | It's in my roots, it's in my veins | It's in my blood and I stain every heart that I use to heal the pain"
8. Love In The Dark - Dang. Realizing you don't love someone can't be all that great. Get ready to feel that pain in every word in this one. "Take your eyes off me so I can leave | I'm far too ashamed to do it with you watching me | This is never ending, we have been here before | But I can't stay this time cause I don't love you anymore"
9. Million Years Ago - If you want to get in your feelings really quickly about getting older, time flying, missing your younger self...this is your song. I teared up so fast. Literal tears. Sounds so much like her "19" tracks. "I feel like my life is flashing by | And all I can do is watch and cry | I miss the air, I miss my friends | I miss my mother, I miss it when | Life was a party to be thrown | But that was a million years ago"
10. All I Ask - Just plain sadness. Why do you have to do this to us, girl? Adele truly makes us miss exes we don't even have and it is doing THE MOST in this ballad. Bring your tissues. "If this is my last night with you | Hold me like I'm more than just a friend | Give me a memory I can use | Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do | It matters how this ends | Cause what if I never love again?"
11. Sweetest Devotion - I knew one of her songs was written for her kiddo and I assumed by the title this was it. Not going to lie, it made me have one of those, "Oh, I wanna be a Momma right now" moments in that listening screening. It's really the sweetest. "The sweetest devotion | Hitting me like an explosion | All of my life, I've been frozen | The sweetest devotion I've known"
Did I mention that the listening event was held on our 3rd wedding anniversary and he got to go with me? Pretty perfect timing and a special way to to make this day more memorable. So glad I'm still Adele-ing with that same boy I met during the "19" days. He's my remedy.
Word on the street is that Target has a deluxe album with extra songs, so I'll be making my way to get my hands on those tracks as soon as I can in the morning. Happy 25 Day, folks. It's certainly been a long wait and it is truly worth every minute.