While my parents and sister have had the summer off of work (must be nice, teachers), they have actually been a whole lot busier than I. A few months back when it was clear that my sister Bethany and her husband Jon would be moving to my hometown, my parents had the opportunity to buy a home and flip it for the newlyweds to rent. My dad has been known to do things like this before (laundromat, 60's VW beetle, 70's RV, newer home, etc), but this is definitely one of the biggest projects (and it needed to be done in about a month).
This was truly a family-sized undertaking. They all spent countless hours pulling carpet, cleaning the yard, painting and making the long trek to Lowes. Montrell and I helped out with what we could, the few days we were able to visit. From the very beginning, I knew this house would become so great!
The first major problem they ran into, as with most old homes, was asbestos. The kitchen tile had it and the air was a hazard for several weeks. We used masks when we glanced inside and immediately sterilized and cleaned off afterward. It was a nuisance, for sure, but eventually the air was given the all-clear again.
Did I mention we were working on all this during the hottest days of summer? It's the kind of days that you break a sweat walking from the front door to your car. Needless to say, we all stayed hydrated and made it through the heat.
For the exterior, we picked out "Tynewood" by Sherwin Williams. It's a really dark gray/brown. I've heard that if your roof is a more natural color, the brown is really brought out. Fortunately, our roof was already gray, so they just compliment each other. The shutters got a nice coat of white (or...several coats of white!). Bethany also worked so hard clearing out the vines and bushes.
After the base of gray and white was set, the real fun began! I was tasked (or "allowed") to add the brightest punch to the new front door. "Dutch Tulip" by Sherwin Williams is certainly bright enough for us without being too mustard or too pale.
Probably my favorite touch to the front porch is the new house numbers. I'm a little obsessed with type and font, so I wouldn't allow anyone else to make the call of the ever-important house number choice. After seeing SO many expensive options online, I got a lead on some modern floating numbers by Hillman Distinctions at Home Depot. These babies were just $5 each and I could not be more proud of how they turned out.
My sister's thrifty ways shine through near the yellow door with a table she refinished from Goodwill and a chair that someone threw out. I think our dad's dumpster-diving ways are getting to all of us. Add in some pretty succulents from WalMart and we were totally satisfied with the home's first impression!
It wouldn't be a overhaul post without a few old and new comparisons. Here are some of the before-and-after shots to really show off the thought and hard work put into the front of the house. Although, the grass got drier as the weeks passed, so the yard looks a little like a "before" should. We're in burn bans and on a 35+ day streak without rain. Hopefully we'll get the yard green again soon!
Of course, I'm totally jealous of this whole thing because I've betrayed myself by helping them design MY dream home. I really wish we could pick it up and put it in Dallas for me! Until that's a possibility, I guess I'll let them enjoy it!